NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Old Curtain to Mermaid Costume

I have a habit of picking up cheap linens at thrift stores. They're a fantastic way to get fabric on the cheap! A while back I picked up a hot pink satin curtain at Goodwill. After turning part of the bottom of the curtain into a pillow case for my daughter, the remainder languished in my fabric stash for months.

But I recently had an idea that allowed me to use nearly all of the remaining curtain fabric!

Fancy sequined top of the curtain.
For Christmas a couple years ago, my daughter got a rocking lobster. My idea was to turn the curtain into a mermaid tail so I could take a photo of my daughter riding her lobster as a mermaid. :D

Rock(ing) lobster
I spent a Saturday evening watching Stargate: Atlantis and cutting out pieces and removing extra sequins.

Fins!

Ready to pin & sew

My daughter is super excited to wear her new mermaid tail!


3 comments:

RePurposeFul said...

I love getting linens at the thrift store, they are a great buy! Great job, and she looks adorable!

Jan Francis said...

Really clever! We have (from years ago) a rocking horse version of your lobster, I believe my husband got the pattern from Sunset Magazine.

jennifer elliott said...

1. I love looking at the linen area at thrift stores and general dollar stores too. Such a steal.

2. I would be so excited to wear a cute mermaid costume too! She's adorable and she definitely looks happy.

Great job.

Jennifer, EOD