Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Refashion Runway: Button Challenge

When I heard that the 3rd challenge was buttons I thought to myself BUTTONS!!?!? I LOVE buttons! I have always admired my mom's extensive button collection! So, when I took an interest in sewing I was ecstatic to start collecting my own buttons! So there I was at every fabric store sale and thrift store buying buttons....
Got buttons?

I found this dress with buttons down the back which inspired me for this challenge.

I made the neckline in the back into a v-neck. I hemmed bottom by 4 inches.
I made a sash out of the scrap I cut from the bottom of my dress.
My idea for buttons was to sew buttons into a nice floral pattern. I printed out an ivy pattern and traced it on my dress.

Next Up: Accessories!

I started with a white t-shirt to make a bag. I cut off the sleeves and neckline. I sewed the t-shirt at the bottom and cut the access into fringe.
To top off my new bag I sewed on the biggest buttons I had. Then I sewed stings of buttons amongst the fringe.
To top my outfit off I hot glued buttons onto earring posts! I also made my very own button bracelet! I have always admired a button bracelet that my mom bought at a garage sale, so I made my own!

Happy Refashioning!!!

Don't forget to vote for your favorite: therenegadeseamstress

Stop my by blog to check out my stash of refashions:


RePurposeFul said...

Brilliant. Every little touch comes together beautifully. Kudos.

Marisa Glied said...

:) Thank you so much!!!

alyrocco said...

Love the dress! What a fantastic idea. : )

Marisa Glied said...

Thank you!!!! :)

cfortin said...

I love the new back neckline.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab

leaf said...


Marisa Glied said...

Thank you! I'm a huge fan of low backs and high front necklines!

Marisa Glied said...

Thanks :)