Friday, August 05, 2016

RR Sew Along - Velvet

I have decided to Sew Along with Refashion Runway this year. The first challenge is Velvet.
I loved the gradient green colours of this velvet dress, but the dress was way too small for me. I couldn't even get it on for a before picture.
Before:

I considered several options for this dress, but finally decided to go with a classic: I remade it into a skirt. Since the skirt of the dress became wider towards the bottom, there was room for making a skirt that would fit me.
The dress had a side zipper. I opened the zipper, so could be used in the final skirt. And cut.

I finished the upper edge and made two darts in the back of the skirt for at better fit.
After:

The skirt reminds me of a dancing skirt. An attempt at action photo with my son as the photographer.




While I was at it, I also refashioned this little velvet thing: An 80s blouse with the most amazing sleeves: Shoulder pads, pleats, puff and buttons.

Goodbye shoulder pads and goodbye sleeves.
I also made breats darts for a better fit, made the arm holes smaller, and shortened the top 4 cm (app. 1 1/2").
I can tell that this will be a favourite for work.



(There is really nothing interesting up to the right (my left). I just can't avoid light reflections in my glasses, unless I made odd postures, which is why my refashion photos usually are headless).

5 comments:

whatthesew said...

Both refashions look excellent. Velvet sounded intimidating.

Saga said...

Thank you. Velvet is quite forgiving to sew.

jennifer elliott said...

Great job on both refashions, but I think I love the velvet skirt more! So flouncy and twirly! Great job!

Jennifer, EOD

Gema said...

Fab work - love the skirt!!

leaf said...

Well done!