Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Sunday, August 21, 2016

That's never going to work!

For my second attempt at a jeans refashion for Portia's challenge -  the refashioners2016 , I grabbed 2 pairs from my $1 a pair Goodwill haul.
One pair were medium weight, with a little stretch. I really liked the other pair (Banana Republic) - lighter weight, with a texture that almost looked like a faint tartan to a pair of old eyes. They were wide leg, so even though they were smaller than I wear, the extra fabric seemed to offer up more possibilities.

I don't know quite what I was thinking, but I started pondering KILTS.....a totally inappropriate garment to make out of a limited amount of fabric that's already cut into shapes and stitched together!!
OK, back on planet earth.... unless I drop about 10 sizes overnight, I"d never be able to cut a kilt out of 2 pairs of jeans. So, my skirt kind of evolved - I cut front and back panels from the heavier jeans, using the outside leg seams as my CF and CB.
I saved the zip and sewed it into the back seam. I then cut 4 hip panels, shaping by eye and adjusting on my body.
I thought the wide leg jeans would give me a decent amount for side pleated sections, but found they had a sneaky bias seam. I used them anyway, even though those seams caused some bulk and twisting. I unpicked the the two back pockets, stitched them together, and added them to one side. I cut fabric from the deep hem allowance to make straps for the other side, and added a couple of rings from my stash.

 Well, it's not exactly a kilt, but it's definitely more useful than 2 pairs of jeans not in my size!! The finished skirt is a little twisted and stretched in places but wearable, and will definitely get a lot of use - certainly worth the whopping $2 outlay!

More pics HERE


whatthesew said...

Well it looks like a pretty good kilt lookalike to me.

fabrichoarder said...

Thank you, whatthesew!

cfortin said...

What a fun idea to make a kilt. It looks great.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab