NEED TWO EDITORS ON DUTY!

Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at jennelliott14@gmail.com. Thank you!

Thursday, September 08, 2016

Vintage Vibe Skirt from Culottes and Mini Skirt

Hellooo Everyone!  I haven't been posting for quite a while, but I've been reading everyone's fabulous work :)  Some amazing things being created!
Now, I want to share with you something I just finished working on... I rummaged through the bag of cast offs that my daughter gave me looking for inspiration.  For some reason these two items grabbed my attention:






That's a pair of grey culottes and a paisley mini skirt... I don't know why they reached out to me, but I went with it! :)

















Sew, first things first... my absolute most dreaded part of Refashioning:


 


     

      Yuck!  













I took the cuff and hem out of the culottes and then pick pick picked out the inside leg seams.  Then I completely dismantled the mini skirt, including taking out the zipper and sewing up the seam.  I was left with two pieces - front and back panels... I measured how long of a wedge panel I wanted and cut them out of the paisley "fabric".  (Its is no longer a skirt, right?)  After hemming the edges of the seams I opened on the culottes, I lined my paisley panels up underneath, pinned them just so, and stitched them in place... remembering to put secure stitches at the top of the point.  OK, almost done!


I added a vintage black leather button, (purely decorative)



Created a shabby chic "flower" out of the left-over fabric, ...I want to mention that I sewed a safety pin onto the back of the "flower" so it can be used where ever I want :)





And added some decorative stitching around the entire hem.


So that's it!  I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out -- didn't expect the vintage vibe, but super happy about it! :)


 
 


Apologies for the color discrepancy -- grey is so hard to photograph!!  :/










Thanks for reading, and have a fabulous day!  Happy ReFashioning :)

2 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

Oh my goodness! I love the hint of vintage. I would have never thought of that. Great job!

Jennifer, EOD

Stef Weidert said...

I love the decorative stitching! I have to admit I kinda like seam ripping. Wonderful job!