Thursday, September 08, 2016

Vintage Vibe Skirt from Culottes and Mini Skirt

Hellooo Everyone!  I haven't been posting for quite a while, but I've been reading everyone's fabulous work :)  Some amazing things being created!
Now, I want to share with you something I just finished working on... I rummaged through the bag of cast offs that my daughter gave me looking for inspiration.  For some reason these two items grabbed my attention:






That's a pair of grey culottes and a paisley mini skirt... I don't know why they reached out to me, but I went with it! :)

















Sew, first things first... my absolute most dreaded part of Refashioning:


 


     

      Yuck!  













I took the cuff and hem out of the culottes and then pick pick picked out the inside leg seams.  Then I completely dismantled the mini skirt, including taking out the zipper and sewing up the seam.  I was left with two pieces - front and back panels... I measured how long of a wedge panel I wanted and cut them out of the paisley "fabric".  (Its is no longer a skirt, right?)  After hemming the edges of the seams I opened on the culottes, I lined my paisley panels up underneath, pinned them just so, and stitched them in place... remembering to put secure stitches at the top of the point.  OK, almost done!


I added a vintage black leather button, (purely decorative)



Created a shabby chic "flower" out of the left-over fabric, ...I want to mention that I sewed a safety pin onto the back of the "flower" so it can be used where ever I want :)





And added some decorative stitching around the entire hem.


So that's it!  I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out -- didn't expect the vintage vibe, but super happy about it! :)


 
 


Apologies for the color discrepancy -- grey is so hard to photograph!!  :/










Thanks for reading, and have a fabulous day!  Happy ReFashioning :)

2 comments:

jennifer elliott said...

Oh my goodness! I love the hint of vintage. I would have never thought of that. Great job!

Jennifer, EOD

Unknown said...

I love the decorative stitching! I have to admit I kinda like seam ripping. Wonderful job!