Do you have a few minutes to spare for a day? Do you like commenting on contributors' posts? The Refashion Coop needs two volunteer Editors on Duty (EOD for short) to make sure the site is running smoothly. Interested? Have questions? Please contact Jennifer Elliott at Thank you!

Monday, October 10, 2016

embroidery euro up cycle

I have to make an embroidered waistcoat for my nephew (irish dancing season again) and this time its velvet, which I have minimal experience in embroidering (and slightly adverse to sewing velvet in general).  I was on the look out for velvet in the charity shop to make the waistcoat, and while there spotted this black top.  Its a stretch mock suede and a nice shape, and I thought it would be useful to do an embroidery sample on textured stretch fabric and also to check if fabric glue would work as an alternative to top hooping fabric.

I put vilene on the hoop and put glue in place and then basted the fabric/top in place.  I used a 'Flores' motif from Urban Threads.  The middle motif is slightly off balance, but in all it turned out fine..... so including oodles of mistakes including,

finding out

  • I should have marked out the design on the vilene
  • the re-spooling of the indian embroidery thread was a good idea but it is still crap thread
  • the blue usb key should not be used as it stopped working half-way through the third embroidery
  • noting the stitch count is always a good idea (when having to turn machine on and off when usb gave up)

I did also find out a free way to do basic edits (edited out birds in design), so as learning curves go, this one was easy enough, and on the up-side, at least the velvet fabric is a woven!


Samwise W. said...

You are SO talented! Wow!

Agitated in Auckland said...

Looks great Eimear - It's always good to learn new stuff and great to do it on a one euro garment - win-win. I see you can buy a velvet foot for my sewing machine - I have a pfaff - not sure what you have - I don't know if that might be worth checking out before you attempt the waistcoat??

Eimear Greaney said...

thank you for the tip on the velvet foot.... I will look into it, normally I just baste and in this case it wont be velvet on velvet seams as its a waistcoat, but v good to know. I have been told that embroidering with net over the velvet will help with the pile so thats the next experiment. hooping was the biggest obstacle as i didnt want to hoop over but the 'glue' worked a treat!

cfortin said...

Turned out great!

Cindy - EOD
Upcycled Design Lab