Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Refashioned Bomber Jacket from a Funky Prom Dress


A few months ago, I went to the thrift store to replenish my refashion stash.  I didn't have any particular project in mind, so focused more on interesting fabrics and patterns.  I found a Jessica McClintock prom dress with a pretty floral brocade for $5 and threw it in my cart without looking too closely at it.  Once I got home, I found this weird, funky embellishment on the back of the dress I completely overlooked at the store.


That stupid, fugly bustle stumped me for the longest time.  I assumed the entire dress was made of the satiny brocade I fell in love with and was counting on that yardage.  Since there wasn't much brocade to work with, I put the dress "on hold" for several months in my guest room/junk room.

I finally found inspiration with the current bomber jacket trend.  I figured I had enough brocade for the sleeves.  For the bodice, I found a thrifted skirt in the perfect shade of red.


I was determined to do something creative with that stupid bustle, so I made a applique from a Japanese crest pattern.


Read all about this bomber jacket refashion on  my blog www.Trevorlovesmommy.com.






5 comments:

RePurposeFul said...

Fabulous! Very well done.

whatthesew said...

Very dramatic. Beautiful fabric.

Saga said...

That looks so professional.
I would have never thought of using that dress for sleeves. Great way of saving the fabric of that odd dress.
Saga - EOD

Unknown said...



Thank you so much! That did the trick, you saved me more endless hours of searching for a fix.


Wardrobe Accessories

Unknown said...

this. is. amazing! so trendy. zara and modcloth would be so jealous. AND it's one of a kind!