But my versatile cardigan met with a bit of a mysterious mishap in the laundry. This is what it looked like after some stitching up.
The sweater still looked pretty bad, but I was able to stop further fraying. So I took the fancy part off of an old headband that I no longer wear to cover the damaged area.
Here's what it looked like after adding the fancy detail:
I got lucky with the damage to the sweater in that it ended up roughly in the shirt-pocket area which makes sense for some sort of of embellishment, patch or brooch. If the laundry gremlins had tried to eat a different part of my sweater, I would have had to get a whole lot more creative to fix it!
You can check out the other photos of the refashion and more details on my blog probablyrachel.com.