Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Funky Dress to Funky Suspender Skirt with a Mens Shirt Turned Half Top

I was given this crazy, funky dress in a pile of fabric from my friends girlfriend who works as a professional seamstress (score!).

It is so funky 60's, I can't help but love it!


I don't have any idea what this print is, but I don't care.  The colors are so vibrant and fun.


Here is my inspiration.  Don't ask me why.  It just spoke to me.  I was concerned it might go a little juvenile, but it was a risk worth taking.


I picked apart the dress and used my favorite skirt pattern to make the skirt (shown on my blog).

For the suspenders, I decided to make them detachable by adding button holes to them and inserting buttons on the inside of the skirt.

Here is my finished product. 


I really feel like it needs a white half top to go underneath.  Luckily, I found a perfectly good white shirt in my bin of hand-me-down victims.
Here is my mens, white shirt.


I cut off the sleeves, bottom, and up the sides.
I pinned the sides to fit the dressform.  Then hemmed the bottom, took in the sleeves, and serged them onto the shirt (got carried away and forgot to take pics!)



Here is the completed look.  For some reason the lighting was giving me trouble in the living room, so it kinda washes out the vibrant color of the skirt, but you get the idea.


Back side with suspenders.


Skirt without the suspenders.


I have some cute, white, knee high socks I can add to this look.  It's going to take a bit of bravery on my behalf to wear this out.  I'm not sure if it is too funky or young for a 40 year old women like me to wear.  Luckily, I never act my age.  
Ha!
What do you think?  Can I pull this look off?

8 comments:

Kathy W. - One Brown Mom said...

OMGosh - I LOVE it!! That fabric is amazing!

Erica Moody said...

40?!nYou wear the hell out of that outfit, it looks great!

Maria said...

I like your version better than the inspiration piece due to your fewer gathers. The straighter skirt makes the fun print look more sophisticated. Love it!

Unknown said...

She was looking awesome in this costume.Cartincoupon.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Catherine1216 said...

Wear it - you look great.

Anielskaaniela said...

it's super cool! and you look great in it

Saga said...

Great refashion and you rock that outfit.

/EOD - Stine