Monday, May 29, 2017

Battles with big dresses

In my full post I mentioned some of the very common themes in my refashions. On of them is my constant frustration of how oversized dresses were in the '80s. Can you believe this dress is a size 4?
Taking these flowing tops in on the sides leaves me with a whole other problem of the bodice being long and overlapping the waistline. I decided to try removing the top of the collar and kind of folding the front inwards.
I also lost a ton of sleeve length and hacked about 4" off the bottom. It was still a little loose-fitting, but I'm impatient and wanted to wear it. I added a wide belt to hold it up.
I always end up taking these pics at night and using a flash. This can lead to some unflattering shots, hence the filter to pretty it up.
After wearing it once, I actually ran it under the machine one more time taking it in from the back.
Check out the full post on my blog Craft, Thrift, or Die and see some "before" shots of recently completed refashions.

2 comments:

cfort82 said...

Much improved. Nice Refashion.

Cindy - EOD
Upcycle Design Lab

Rozy Lass said...

Sizes were different then. When I was married in 1988 my wedding dress was a pattern size 10, equal to ready-to-wear about an 8; today those measurements are a ready-to-wear size "0". Someday women's wear will convert to sizing by actual measurement-if your bust is 36, you'll buy a 36 blouse; similar to the way mens clothing is sized. I eagerly await the day! Good job on your refashion!