Saturday, July 01, 2017

Bleach Shirt Fail

Hello there readers! Long time no post! I feel like it has been a year since my last post. I apologize for leaving you all in suspense.
This refash started as a dud. I originally wanted this to be a bleach stencil shirt.
DSCN1148
Plain pink tank! You know I can't resist pink!

DSCN1177
I printed a design on some freezer paper. I cut out the design.
I ironed the stencil onto my tank (with low heat).
Then I got out my bleach pen and went to work filling in the design. I also filled up a spray bottle with 50:50 bleach and water and gave it a few spritzes.
I looked up some other tutorials on bleach stenciling and found that most people let thr bleach sit for around 30minutes. I did just that and it didn't seem to be done....so I waited. And waited. And waited some more. After the 2 hour mark I decided it must be done and I just didn't realize it. I rinsed off the bleach and was left with....nothing. Na da. Not a thing.

DSCN1270
Yep, nothing. So being very discouraged I dried the shirt and tried just spraying the shirt with 100% bleach and ended up with the same result...just a unharmed, unbleached pink tank top.
Oookay, soo plan C was put into action.
Like a not very smart person I didn't save my original stencil I made on the computer. So, plan C called for a slightly revised version of my first stencil. Printed that onto some freezer paper, cut it out and ironed the new stencil onto the tank top.
DSCN1273
I used some Pewter fabric paint to paint on my design.

After the paint dried....
DSCN1271
I cut 3 triangles of fabric that I had. (I think the patterns fit with the theme of the shirt) I wanted to make triangular cut outs on the back of the tank top. To do this I cut triangles of heat n bond (notice: I cut out the middle of each triangle)
I applied the heat n bond to the right side of the fabric this time, because I wanted it to be the visible part of the cut out.
I ironed on the heat n bond triangles onto the back side of the tank top. Then I cut the fabric out that was covering the fabric triangles.

DSCN1272
My last  step was to sew along the edges of the triangle cut outs, to make it look complete.
DSCN1276

DSCN1277
I mean really? Is there such things as bleach resistant material? I can say that after an unfortunate cleaning accident a pair of my work scrubs are not bleach resistant...why couldn't it work on this silly tank top?

Anyway...Happy Refashioning!!!

Check out my stash of refashions on my blog: http://therefashstash.wordpress.com

2 comments:

I Can Work With That said...

Thanks for sharing your story of how it didn't work. That is one strong tank top. You did a great job in the end.
Chickie EOD

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny about the bleach. It reminds of when I graduated from high school, some fellow classmates tried to burn the uniform skirt by dipping it in a gas tank of a car and then lighting it, but it would not burn.