Monday, November 13, 2017

Morticia Addams Costume Refash

This year was the hubbies turn to pick Halloween Costumes for us. He had decided on the iconic Halloween couple: Gomez and Morticia Addams! What a great pick! Classic! This refash only covers my Morticia costume, the hubby was set on buying his own costume.

DSCN1369
I stared with this plain long black dress.

DSCN1370
And this 1980's gem!

DSCN1373
First step was to take in the long black dress so it was more form fitting. This was actually kind of tricky since I had to keep taking it on and off with the pins in it. Yikes!

DSCN1374
I cut a slit in the front of the dress and pinned back the sides to make it a deep v-neck.

DSCN1375
I took those lovely lace sleeves from the 80's dress.

DSCN1376
Pinned them to the arm holes of the long black dress.
By this time it was time to set up my nice new black wig...

DSCN1377
It took me about 1/2 a can of good ol' aquanet hairspray to make the pin curls in my wig to stay. I let my wig sit with the pin curls for 2 days.

DSCN1381
On to the sleeve details...
I cut lace ribbon and lace at descending lengths.

DSCN1382
I used a seam ripper to open a hole in the sleeves in which I placed the ribbons and lace. Then I stitched up the hole to keep the ribbons in place.

DSCN1383
I purchased some spooky spiderweb lace which I cut into triangles...
 DSCN1384
and cut those triangles into smaller triangles...

DSCN1386
I sewed the spiderweb lace to the front and back of the long black dress. Once that was all stitched up I cut a triangle out of the black dress so that the spiderweb lace could show through. I also left part of the triangles hang passed the hem of the dress.
DSCN1387
I did not like the flat look of the cutouts once they were done. I stitched the top of the cutout into a dart, which gave it some depth.

DSCN0712 (2)
Remember me? This was my Refashion Runway Season 4 Velvet challenge.
I decided to reuse the cape from this one and incorporate it into my Halloween costume.

DSCN1388
I added some spiderweb lace and black ribbon to make an epaulette (decorative shoulder part of a uniform) on the cape.

DSCN1389
They're creepy and they're kooky, Mysterious and spooky, They're altogether ooky,
The Addams Family...


Gomez and Morticia Addams




Happy Halloween!!!

Happy Refashioning!!!

Check out my stash of refashions on my blog: therefashstash.com

1 comment:

I Can Work With That said...

Love this whole project idea. Your dress is fabulous and it is a great couples theme too. Grest in with this one.
Chickie EOD