Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Old Dress to New Top

Hello Refashion Co-op. Nothing is more fun to refashion than a dress from the 80's right? This floral dress was one of those great 80's finds.


This dress has the shoulder pads that all dresses form the 80's seem to have. It also had some worn out elastic in the bodice that made this dress completely unwearable. I decided to cut the entire top. It wasn't worth trying to fix it. I hate that elastic shirring. I saved the skirt and the waist sash.


I flipped the skirt upside down and cut out a boxy square shirt shape.


I ironed the waist sash and cut it into 6 equal pieces.


I used my machine to connect the sides and under the arms. I used the small pieces of the waist sash to connect the front and the back of the shirt. That left an open area on the shoulders and sleeves.


 It was easy to finish because the shoulders had the finished edge from the hem of the skirt. The shirt was perfect for the heat of August. So are these cutoff shorts. I love frayed denim.


Thanks for reading this post, for more pictures and details go to I Can Work With That.

2 comments:

whatthesew said...

Hi Chickie, I could not agree more about the eighties dresses. They are wonderful, lots of flowery fabric. The top looks perfect for the heat - its even too hot for t-shirts at the moment.

I Can Work With That said...

It is too hot for everything in August around here.
Happy Sewing to you!
Chickie