Monday, April 01, 2019

A Quick Dye Job

As March comes to a close I had just enough time to squeeze in this refash!
When I was out on a thrifting hunt for winter clothes I found myself a Harry Potter T-Shirt. I would like to disclose that I am a very avid Harry Potter fan, but I actually have never owned any Harry Potter apparel. (Sad, I know) I have a ton of Star Wars apparel but not ONE Harry Potter piece. So, you can imagine how excited I was when I came across this tee for $2!
I had worn this t-shirt for a few weeks and then decided that I was not happy with it being white.
DSCN1799
Here I have 2 shirts and the reason is….I decided that I would like this Harry Potter t-shirt if it were blue. So, I had this other feather pattern shirt that I had decided that would look good in blue too!
So I broke out some fabric dye!
I knew I had wanted this to be a lighter shade of navy blue, hoping that I would still be able to make out the black graphics of each shirt through the newly dyed blue shade.
I used the washer machine method for RIT dye.
I used an extended wash cycle with HOT water, 1 cup salt, 1 tablespoon detergent, 1/2 cup Navy liquid dye and 1/2 cup Royal blue liquid dye.
DO NOT forget to pre-wet your fabric!
RINSE in COLD water.
I always hang dry my newly dyed projects.
DSCN1809
More interesting than a plain white t-shirt! (This camera made it look more like a gray-ish blue).
DSCN1811
Here is a close up of the color and graphic detail!
It ended up not being 100% the shade blue I had envisioned but I am much happier with it this way!
Quick Dye
Happy Refashioning!!!!
Check out my stash of refashions on my blog!

1 comment:

I Can Work With That said...

The dye made a big change. I love using dye. You never know exactly how it will end up though. That's part of the fun right? :)
Chickie