Friday, July 12, 2019

Curtains to dungarees dress refashion


I bought these 100% cotton curtains with this particular project in mind.

The shop assistant wanted to charge me £5.99 each curtain so I just bought one, there was sufficient fabric as they were fairly large.

I was making a dungarees / pinafore dress with a commercial pattern and the first job was to seam rip the lining and curtain tape away, but I actually enjoy this part of the process it feels like I am producing fabric.

The label on the curtains said dry clean only so they had been in my washing machine on a normal cycle and suffered no ill effects.


Once removed from the lining and washed, the fabric was much more floppy than I had anticipated and this pattern requires a fairly stiff fabric.  After some thinking I decided to fully interface the main pieces, and fully line the dress using the curtain lining.

I was slightly concerned that this would make the dress too hot and stiff but it worked out OK although I have had the comment that it looks like an apron.

There are more details and photos here




1 comment:

I Can Work With That said...

Wow, those are really cute! I don't think they look like an apron at all.
Chickie