Wednesday, August 07, 2019

How to take in a skirt in 20 seconds

Most of my refashions lately haven't been "refashions," so much as quick and easy tailoring jobs.

But one of the quickest tailoring jobs turned out to be the most interesting, since it ended up introducing me to a new and super-simple technique for taking in a skirt! Here it is!

You start with a too-big, loose and flowy type of skirt:


Then you pinch the excess fabric at two points in the back, and sew just the very top of each pinched area!


As long as the skirt already had a lot of gathers to begin with, the new tucks are hardly noticeable.

Here they are "in the wild:"

Best of all, sewing each one only took about ten seconds, so this is my new favorite lazy-day tailoring technique! A full step-by-step is available on my blog.

Thanks for reading!

--The Unfashionista

1 comment:

I Can Work With That said...

I do this too. It is fabulous for kids too. If they grow you can take out the tuck and the skirt is bigger again.
That skirt is super cute!
Chickie