Monday, October 28, 2024

Cover a stain with embroidery

 

Out of nowhere (so it seamed) a stain had appeared on one sleeve of this cardigan. It looked like toothpaste, but it clearly wasn't, since washing didn't help. White paint then? I cautiously treated it with some organic solvent but that didn't work either. I kept wearing the cardigan, but I couldn't forget the stain and wanted to fix it. But how?


A few weeks ago I went to a workshop 'Embroidery on clothes' and brought the cardigan with me. I've done some embroidery on clothes before, but I was hoping for some new inspiration and I always like working together with other creatives. 

And that's where I found the book Beautiful botanical embroidery by Alice Makabe. It contains beautiful examples of embroidery, like this cute twig with leaves I used for this project.








I traced the twig and some extra leaves to play with and traced the final composition on soluble interfacing. It reinforces the fabric and makes it easier to embroider.



When I finished the embroidery, I gently washed the sleeve to dissolve the interfacing. And that was it, actually! 



By the way, wouldn't it be cool to embroider one or two flowers of Aniela's beautiful fabric for the cute front tie top she made last week (@Aniela, what do you think)? Or I'll do it for you Aniela, just send me the top:)).

If you're interested in more details, you're welcome to visit vermaakster.blogspot.com

Tip: if you like embroidery on clothes, you might also like this older post I ran into: hiding a stain on a skirt with beautiful yellow flowers (Refashion Co-op).


No comments: