Thursday, February 24, 2011

glam.spoon intro


Hello everyone!
Thank you to Erica for the invitation to join Refashion Co-op! I'm so glad to have found this site and look forward to becoming a part of the world wide refashioning community...

I consider myself a textile designer and my main focus for the past 5 years has been my handmade women's clothing business called glam.spoon. It began in my closet as a project to rework the items hanging there that never quite worked. I really enjoyed the challenge of using recycled materials, so I started shopping for more projects at thrift stores. My process is backwards from fashion design, letting the materials inspire the new garment, rather than sketching and sourcing. I now sell my designs in local boutiques and at trunk sales around Seattle.

Although I started out with a plan to deconstruct used clothing completely and create a new garment from scratch, after a while I became obsessed with refashioning. Last fall I created an entire couture holiday dress collection using recycled and hand dyed cotton.
More images here.



I've also enjoyed refashioning jewelry and old junk, and love to mix metals and stones, fabric and leather - you name it. I sell my refashioned jewelry at Tasty in Greenwood.


I branched into home products last fall and created a collection of recycled cotton/linen hand pleated and dyed pillows for our home (below). I also sell recycled cashmere throws at a local Seattle boutique called Nube Green dedicated to all things recycled.


My latest project was a leather shoulder bag refashion, which I blogged about here. Not a dramatic transformation, but I think it has a lot more personality!

I look forward to sharing more projects
and reading about all your creative endeavors.
-glamspoon



6 comments:

Huli said...

welcome! looking forward to seeing more of your creations! I'm loving those purple dresses they look amazing :)

Unknown said...

Such beautiful dresses Tina, we can't wait to see more of your work

Erica
Editor on Duty

jessica said...

Tina, I'm super excited to see you in this community, and I can't wait to see what else you come up with! Welcome, welcome!

Unknown said...

I am really digging the style on glam.spoon and the jewelery is amazing. Can't wait to hit the car-boot sales and start picking up pieces. I'm feeling so inspired at the moment.
Eddie

poet said...

Wow. This is "the real thing". An entire refashion collection! I really love the colors and silhouettes of these dresses.

glam.spoon said...

thanks everyone! it's all the result of a schizophrenic artist... who am i today? ;)