Thursday, February 24, 2011

A no-sew refashion to dye for!

Hello refashion lovers! It is Thursday again in my part of the world, which means I'm on editor duty.

Yesterday I did my first dye refashion experiment. I found an awesome tutorial on fabric dyeing clothes in a jar on BurdaStyle, an alternative to tie dyeing, and had to try it.

Here is the before and after, using a beautiful, but alas stained, Portman's shirt given to me by a friend.




You could go full-on hippie with dye, and wear with flowing skirts and Jesus sandals, or you could choose to dress it up ....


I have written my own step-by-step tutorial over on my blog. Go on readers, release your inner hippie and give jar dyeing a try!

5 comments:

glam.spoon said...

I saw that on Burda Style and was very curious about jar-dyeing as I've never tried it. Great job! I'll have to check out your blog too. :)

Becky said...

I was intrigued by that tutorial too! And I love the colors you picked out. So fresh and springy!

Unknown said...

That has turned out so great Erica.

I did a lot of tie-dye in my teens but I must admit that apart from my dad no-one is wearing it anymore. Least of all me. But I am going to experiment with some natural dyeing at the end of march and I want to include stitched resist dyeing, where you fold a piece of cloth and use raffia thread to embroider a pattern (From African Textiles by John Gillow (I reviewed it here: http://historic-crafts.com/review-african-textiles).
I guess it's a type of tie-dye. It's the same idea at least.
Eddie

Liz said...

I have a cream top that got rather stained after I foolishly wore it to go blackberrying last year - I may just have to try that!

Huli said...

cool! I love tie-dying only the cost of dyes have gone up alot so I haven't done any for quite awhile :/