Thursday, February 24, 2011

Hello everyone!

My name is Stephanie and I blog about my sewing efforts over at The Naked Seamstress. I think I was already into refashioning as a little kid, when I made myself a two-story doll's house out of shoe boxes, scraps of wood, left-over fabric, empty toilet rolls and all sorts of other bits and bobs I could get my hands on in our house. So I think this community here is just the right thing for me. Today I often scour thrift stores or other people's wardrobes for unwanted items that I can re-use in my sewing. My favourite thing to do is to refashion knitwear. I'm not much into sewing knitwear but wear it a lot, so refashioning is a good alternative to knitting or sewing your own.

This was an ill-fitting, v-necked wool sweater before I cut it up and resewed it again. I added a peter-pan collar and cuffs in contrast fabric to make it more fun.



And this sweater....


....turned into this one with some pearl-white strips of fabric added to the neckline and sleeves:


After my latest refashion I wrote a tutorial on how I refashion a knit sweater. You can find the tutorial here if you are interested. In the future I'd like to try to refashion some non-knitwear items as well and plan to document my efforts here with you on the Refashion Co-op. So see you soon and happy refashioning!

6 comments:

Huli said...

Hi Stephanie I like your grey knit refashion...it's very sweet & unique...I think thats what I love best about refashioning you know no-one else anywhere will have one quite the same ^ _ ^

poet said...

Hello, I love these sweater refashions!

Mandi Stephanie said...

oh they look great!!

Minnado said...

They look very sweet and very wearable too.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I love these - sleek, chic and wearable. I have a sweater in a my refashion pile and I'm going to be coming back to your post/blog for inspiration.

Something Else said...

Oh gorgeous! I love them. :) So chic.