Saturday, February 19, 2011

Refashion editor: Bryony

Hi everyone, my name's Bryony and I'm the sixth Refashion Co-op editor, on duty today. Our contributors list is growing by the day, so thanks for all your interest and support, we're all very chuffed with how the project's going so far! Here's a bit about how I got hooked on Refashioning;

How did you get into refashioning?

I’ve been altering and refashioning clothes since my early teens. It was both a frugal thing and a way to make exactly the clothes I wanted to wear. Shopping in charity shops meant I used to find things that weren’t quite right, but had potential - with a bit of tweaking.


What is your motivation for refashioning?

As I became aware of the massive problems associated with the clothing industry my refashioning/clothes making became more of a political stance. I didn’t want to be part of the mainstream fashion machine, I wanted to be part of the rebellion.


Where do you get your inspiration?

Fashion, functionalism and stylish people I see around and about

(in real life and on the www).


Which techniques do you use in your refashions?

My refashion projects rely entirely on the botch-it-and-see technique.



What is your favourite refashion?

I don’t often get a chance to make clothes from scratch, but when I do, I get an immense sense of satisfaction from it – there’s a sort of liberating feeling about being able to clothe yourself, given just a piece of flat fabric. My biggest achievement is a skirt I made from some fabric from a charity shop – not because of the incredible technical skill required, but because it’s still one of my favourite and most-worn skirts years later. I’d never throw it away, because that’d be like throwing away all the time and energy I put into making it.

I’m always messing with clothes though – adding buttons, reshaping necklines, shortening hems or sleeves. It’s not awe-inspiring, but it’s freeing. I’m not restricted by someone else’s vision of what a garment should look like.


Do you recycle anything other than fashion?

Cardboard, paper, cans, glass and other people’s ideas.


Where can I read more about you and refashioning?

Since I’ve slacked off a bit lately on the refashioning front, I hope that this blog will inspire me - so here!

4 comments:

Liz said...

I like the sound of the botch-it-and-see technique!

Theo said...

That _is_ a cute skirt. I love the adjustable waist buttons!

Unknown said...

Very cute skirt!

poet said...

Botch-it-and-see exactly describes my approach to sewing. The skirt is indeed very cute!