Monday, February 14, 2011

Refashion editor: Debbie



How did you get into refashioning?

As a teenager I used to try and make the clothes I wanted but couldn't afford or get due to living in a small provincial city and I would use what came to hand, cast-offs from my dad, jumble sale clothes. I remember dyeing one of his work shirts grey and a geommetric repeat pattern across it in an attempt to recreate what I had seen in a magazine. I got back into refashioning a couple of years ago when I had restarted sewing.

What is your motivation for refashioning?

Partly due to a lack of funds! I also am in love with creating something new from something old, I hate the idea of waste and like to try and see potential in old clothes. I like the fact that sometimes a refashion can work quickly, so it gives me a quick result in between slower sewing from scratch projects, for example,if an item already has hems or pockets to utilise, this saves a lot of sewing time. I think that even if I had more money to spend I would still be doing this.

Where do you get your inspiration?


Sometimes the clothes or materials provide the inspiration. Above is a cardigan embellished with vintage lace - the lace inspired this but I am sure I was also inspired by seeing lace trim cardigans in shop windows.

I am a very keen people watcher and get inspiration from people I see around me, from other bloggers and from clothes I see in shops, catalogues, on tv. I like small details which can really change an outfit, things like bindings, trims and buttons fascinate me.


What techniques do you use in your refashions?
Sometimes I am fairly slapdash and just cut into a piece of clothing.
More often now, I use a pattern piece as in the Nora top - the pattern used here was from Ottobre Magazine Autumn/Winter 2010. I find the Built By Wendy Sew U pattern pieces are good for using in refashioning. I enjoy taking one or two elements from a pattern and applying them to a refashion.
Where do you find things to refashion?
Charity shops, nearly new sales, summer fetes, my mum's cupboards, I gave up buying new RTW clothes at the start of 2010 and an unexpected side effect of this and my blog has been that friends have started giving me their unwanted clothes. At first I wasn't sure about this but I have had some great items this way. I also hoard my partner's old t shirts and work shirts for use. I like to see the potential in some one else's old clothing.
What is your favourite refashion?
Usually the most recent!
At the moment probably this t shirt


It is simple, and simple, versatile clothes that I can wear in my real life, not the life I would aspire to or the life I used to have, those are the clothes I am interested in making. I used a long sleeved shirt donated by a friend and one of my other half's old t shirts. I used the Nora pattern from Ottobre magazine as mentioned above to cut the yoke.



Do you recycle anything other than fashion?

I try not to buy anything new if I can help it. We use plastic tubs and bottles for gardening, seed trays, for paints. A lot of our furniture is recycled - our toy and art cupboards are rescused from a skip - they are standard school issue from the 1960s or 70s and are well made strong wooden cupboards. Quite a bit of our furniture came via Freecycle, especially stuff for the children. Things like picture frames I always look for in charity shops, then repaint.
I have two young children so we recycle cardboard, paper, plastic bottle, lids etc in craft projects. The most recent was a car seat for my daughter's baby doll. I also make paper from waste paper and plant materials.

Where can I read more about you and refashioning?


I have a blog Minnado's House where I post my refashions.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Very inspiring Debbie! Looking forward to getting to know you better. Love the cardi!
Jenni

jessica said...

Debbie! I've been following your blog for awhile now but somehow really felt that I got a different flavor of "you" from this introductory post! Super excited to be taking on this project with you ... and I love all those refashions that you highlighted =). I am still drooling over that lace, and the yoked top is providing inspiration for a refashion for some point in the future, i just know it ...

Minnado said...

Thanks Jennie and Jessica for the kind words. I am excited to be working with you both on this project and looking forward to getting to know you better.

Unknown said...

I really love the lace. I make lace myself and I am dying to include it into a refashion so I am grateful for any inspiration.

Thank you so much for being part of this team, I so look forward to working with you.

Eddie

Lovenicky said...

Love the lace cardi! The vintage lace looks like they belong to this cardi. I do miss the Charity Shops on the High Streets. I picked up thrift shopping while living in the UK. They often have fabulous stuff! I still have clothing, accessories, furniture and decor items from Oxfam shops.