Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Introductions! Refashion Editor: Jenni

Shift #2! My turn...
I'm Jenni. You can read a little more about me on the Editor page. Although I didn't participate at Wardrobe Refashion, I have always created new out of old. I looks forward to being inspired by and getting to know you all!


Here is my interview...


How did you get into refashioning?
Long ago, my 5th grade teacher passed out certificates, acknowledging each student's special talent. Mine read, “Jenni will forever be known for making something out of nothing.” (I don't believe she was referring to making mountains out of molehills, but it is entirely possible.) I think my teacher had noticed that, I made dollhouse décor out of scraps of stuff. A mini dining table out of carved wood dominoes, framed tiny art works out of clear topped jewelry box lids, and Thanksgiving turkeys out of walnuts, with Q-tip drumsticks. Even then, I was always collecting cool stuff. I still have some African beads that I bought with classroom bucks at our monthly trading day!
So I have always had an eye for seeing things for what they could be, not just what they are.

What is your motivation for refashioning?
I get immense satisfaction from creating something fresh out of old, for less money than buying new. I love to synthesize looks from different elements. I think even if I had lots of money, I would still prefer to create than simply go to the mall.

Where do you get your inspiration?
Usually, the item itself speaks to me. A fabulous color or pattern of silk in an old loose shirt will say “make me fitted, with a cute peplum!” I love fashion magazines, and retro looks. I am an interior designer and a jewelry designer — I see inspiration everywhere!

Which techniques do you use in your refashions?
I am always experimenting. Often a simple applique is a quick addition that makes something “meh” into “wow!” I am currently fascinated by vintage sewing machines. I have a zig zag attachment that has just the cutest stitches that I want to play with soon!

Where do you find things to refashion?
My addiction to thrift stores knows no bounds. If I bought nothing else EVER I would still have plenty of material to work with for the rest of my days. Honestly, it is a problem. I see value in just about everything, and “need” to have critical mass in order to create. Luckily, I have a large studio and a wonderful husband.

What is your favorite refashion?
The last one! Here is a thrifted sweater turned vest. I removed the pilly old sleeves, and the track-suit like zipper and made it a little cooler! The alpaca yarn is sooo soft and warm!
I am hoping to spend more time refashioning clothing in the next year. I used to sew a lot, and haven't in quite a while. Currently I'm pondering how to deal with the doubled back yoke on a men's shirt if I take the collar and button placket off. Any ideas? Bind the edge? Zig zag it? Maybe I will just flip it, and use the hem at the shoulders!

Do you recycled anything other than fashion?
For the last few years, I have been creating jewelry out of recycled sweaters. I am starting to add other repurposed items into the jewelry, like silk scarves, wooden spools with thread, vintage buttons and buckles.


 Prior to that, we did a major remodel on our home, and created lots of things for the house! A bathroom sink from a bowl...planters from stock feed tanks...closet doors as window coverings, etc. I love to create vignettes of vintage and new things together, and have a couple of chairs that recently followed me home that need reupholstering.

Where can I read more about you and refashioning?
You can find me all over the place!
Start here!




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow Jenni, your sweater necklace is absolutely amazing, I love it!

Jenni said...

Thanks Erica! Those roses are fun to make. :)

jessica said...

I agree, that sweater necklace is fabulous. All the girls at work would drool over it, and they are a fashionable, fashionable set.

RosMari Brand said...

Beautiful stuff! Keep up the great crafty work!! :)

Brit

Unknown said...

I knew already that you did fantastic stuff Jenni, and it's so lovely to see it here.

So glad to have you as a part of the team!

Eddie

Emma at Daily Clothes Fix said...

I love that refashion. You did an amazing job reworking that cardigan.

Lovenicky said...

I like that 'sweater turned vest' project! It looks very nice. I have a bulky sweater that could use a refashion too. I will take your inspiration and do something like that with my bulky sweater.