Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Refashion editor: Eddie

So today is the Wednesday shift and my turn as editor. I am so excited! I will be tweeting all day fro @refashioncoop and my own @eddieduckling so come on over and chat!

How did you get into refashioning?
I only began refashioning last year when I once again found myself with a pair of linen trousers full of holes. I decided to have a go at refashioning them into a skirt. After having thought about it for a while I came up with an idea for incorporating this dotted skirt, which had a defect zip. It was the first time in years I had sewn anything for myself to wear and I am still rather proud of it. Shortly after I made the skirt I discovered the Wardrobe Refashion blog and took at 6 months pledge not to buy new clothes.

What is your motivation for refashioning?
I don't like the idea of wasting and I love most of the clothes I have accumulated, but sometimes I just want to try something new. So the solution for me is to refashion them. There is also something about the refashioning/recycling process that I think adds meaning to the things I wear. Another thing that motivated me is when people I meet out and about comment on the stuff I created and want to know more about it.


Where do you get your inspiration?
I get a lot of my inspiration by seeing what others have done to an object. Another thing I do is write 'how would you refashion this?' posts where people can comment their ideas. I then add the ideas to the post and usually that helps me figure out what I want to do with the item myself. This is how I came up with the Jane Austin Dress, refashioned from a rather big purple skirt from Halloween. This is something I hope to continue here on Refashion Co-op as a way of collecting ideas for certain refashions to inspire myself and hopefully everyone else too.

How do you do your refashions?
I am not a big one for planning ahead - I usually just get stuck in and then see how it goes. I would like to start using patterns, but at the moment it's more hit and miss. As to technique I do most of my sewing by hand. If it's seams that can't be seen I will use my Singer, but the result is not always very neat and it can't do zig-zag stitches or go backwards. But then it is from 1911 so that's fair enough and when things go wrong with it I can fix it with a screwdriver. When it comes to stitching that can be seen I love to do it by hand using thread in contrasting colours. I usually try to make a feature out of the stitching like the french knots on the hem of the black skirt.



Where do you find things to refashion?
I would say charity shops but I must admit that I haven't gotten that far yet. I have begun instead to see my own clothes as a stash and this stash is so big that I can't really justify buying more to add to it. Inspired by Zoe's Stash Bustin' challenge I emptied out all the clothes in my closet that hasn't been worn in a long time and added that to my stash.

What is your favorite refashion?
My favorite refashion (if you can really call it that) is my elderberry skirt. The reason I am unsure whether it is technically a refashion is that the skirt it made from a piece of fabric I had lying around. The original piece of raw silk was a pink colour that I didn't fancy that much. But last year I was experimenting with dyeing with natural dyes and left it in some elderflower dye I had made (you can see how that went here on Historic Crafts). It came out a beautiful purple and I had to make something out of it at once. However, it is actually a refashion of a pair of trousers where I used the legs for another project. The top of the skirt and the zip is the top of the trousers re-purposed.
I wanted the skirt to have a bubbly effect at the bottom so I made the lining shorter than the skirt and sewed them together at an angle.



Do you recycled anything other than fashion?
Oh yes! I love using recycled material and refashioning things for the home. One way I do this particularly is using the technique of decoupage. One of my favorite items recently is the Big Island Dish. It's a glass disk I found in a charity shop, I then decoupaged the bottom so that it's seen through the top and painted over the decoupaged bits.
I also recycle old knitted sweaters by ripping them and using the yarn. I guess in a way this the ultimate refashion. From knitted sweater to knitted scarf. hmm!


Where can I read more about you and refashioning?
I mostly post my refashions on my own blog, Grey Duckling, under the header 'Refashions'. I also do refashion interviews over there. Even though I have a big clothes stash I still thrift items once in a while. I blog on the Thrift Collective about the stuff I find. This February (2011) I joined the 5th edition of Thing a Day with the theme 'recycling', where I do a thing a day in relation to this. Oh and if you have an interest in the traditional aspect of crafts you are welcome to join me over on Historic Crafts.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Eddie, everytime I see your elderberry skirt, I want to try out dying with berries too! I love it

Erica

Unknown said...

Thank you Erica,
It is so much fun. We are going to try dyeing with onion skin soon too!
Eddie

poet said...

Yep, I want to try out dyeing with berries too, but I'm afraid the colors would fade too soon even when hand-washing - what's your experience with that?

Lovenicky said...

I love your elderberry skirt. What a clever idea! I was thinking of dying fabric with Beet Root juice. I think I'm going to give it a go after looking at your elderberry skirt!

So have you laundered the skirt yet? Was it colour fast?

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Oh wow the pants/skirt refashion is simply inspiring! I would love to see you wearing it:)

Unknown said...

I must admit Poet that I don't have too much experience with the colours fading yet. But I will let you know when I do. For me it's all experimental and part of the fun that some things might fade and then you just dye them again with other stuff.
Lovenicky, dyeing with beetroot is a great idea but be aware that it might not give the colour you would expect beetroot to give. It usually turns out brownish.
Pull your socks up - thanks! That is me wearing it btw. But of course not the whole of me. Might have to take some more photos of it this summer.

Eddie