Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Portobello Dress

Hi again,

I bought a shapeless dress from a charity shop for £3 because I really liked the fabric - I'm a sucker for blue based flowers. As well as being shapeless in general it was also too small in the bodice and armholes and the waist was nowhere near mine.



I cut the bodice and the skirt apart, and cut 10 inches off the bottom of the skirt. I used this piece to make a pleated waistband that dropped the waist down properly. I biased new armholes using my new bias tape maker, and changed the neckline. As I had to increase the size of the bodice, I created a mock "shirtwaist open over vest" look with an insert panel that buttons up using the original buttons. More details on my blog.

Overall I love it! The weather has totally perked up round here so I shall be wearing it in the sun very soon!

5 comments:

Slow Fashioned said...

Great remake! That dress went from tragic to really cute!

I LOVE the new bodice you constructed and the pleated detail!

Jenni said...

Very creative reuse of all the details! Good job!
Jenni
eod

Liz said...

That looks fab!

Lovenicky said...

Sweet dress! I'm sure you will wear it a lot this summer.

monkeysocks said...

Thanks guys! I wore it to go visit m parents this Easter and it held up really well-even in the sudden hailstorm!