Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Denim Skirt (Why didn't I have one of these already?)

I can’t believe I haven’t owned a denim skirt in years! Seriously…This is a casual southern wardrobe staple! Today, I sought to rectify this situation with this Eddie Bauer mumsy number (a freebie…yay!).


As is, this is fairly awful. It looks like something my 3rd grade teacher would have worn. To take this skirt from spinster to sassy, I first made a big cut to make it a length I liked.

I wanted to let the hem fray, but I didn’t want to leave my skirt looking quite so unfinished. Luckily, I had a spool of super-thick thread made for sewing denim in my stashy stash. I sewed two rows of straight stitches above the line where I didn’t mind letting the skirt fray.



That’s it! I now have a wardrobe staple that has been missing from my closet for oh-so-long!



You can check more refashions on my blog, ReFashionista!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmm I don't have a demin skirt either, but you are right it is a wardrobe staple. Glad you have fixed this now - looking good.
I wish the weather here was for that kind of dress up at the moment.
take care,
Eddie

Becky said...

I'm in the same boat-- I don't have a denim skirt either! And have been thinking for quite some time that I need one....just haven't gotten around to thrifting anything I can turn into the perfect one/sewing one from scratch yet.