Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I did not mean for this to be patriotic...

Ok I am back for another post. :) Initially my intentions were not to make a red-white-blue dress but somehow it ended up this way.

I started first with a sweater knit tank top I got with a cardigan that was a bit too short for me. But I didn't want to throw it away. I have been seeing all of these dresses online with elastic middles and thought this couldn't be that hard to make so off I intended to make a dress out of a tank top. I wound up with a white waistband b/c that was the only wide elastic available at hancock fabrics at the time and someone out of all the million yards of fabric I had in my stash I only wanted to use this denim fabric I had. It just seemed to work.

Here is what I created, it came out looking like more of a pencil-like skirt than I thought but it fits and I like it!
Here is with a cardigan so it is a bit more work appropriate.

For more info check out my blog for more information. I do have some pictures of some of the process for this refashion and of course my cat Natasha who likes to assist me :)

Thanks for reading!

XOXOXO,
LaLaLauren

3 comments:

Lyndel said...

oh that is a really lovely fresh look, especially with the little white cardigan to 'tie it' all together!

Jenni said...

Super cute and very summery. Add a polka dot scarf or an anchor or rope accessory and call it "nautical" instead!
Jenni
eod

TracyKM said...

I tried to post a comment to your blog, but there's a Blogger glich with blogs that don't pop up a separate window for the comments.
I wanted to say I love the dress, and to suggest next time that you don't need to sew the elastic and skirt, right sides together. You can stitch the right side of the skirt to the wrong side of the elastic, since it won't fray, and it'll be softer gathers since there's no bulk inside the gathers. A great way to make a dress!