Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tooled leather handbag to an art journal

I spotted a tooled leather handbag (not the bag below but it was similar) in a thrift store. I loved it but knew that it had a life beyond it's original purpose.







I was delighted to find that the sides of the bag worked out be a great size for art paper but the first challenge was how to keep the integrity of the tool work while turning it into an art journal.



I did colour the leather roses with shiva sticks at one stage but decided ...nope and managed to clean it off. My second challenge was how to trim the top and bottom of the cover. Being a sewer at heart I spotted some vintage lace in my stash and thought that would be perfect.







I painted the inside of the cover, then stuck on a picture from an old calendar. Painted a little more to let the picture blend in some more. There is also glitter and painted lace and other bits of emphemeria in there.






The pages are bound through the cover. The holes are reinforced with coloured eyelets.





The old unloved handbag that somebody put lots of hard work and love into, is loved again!



https://www.facebook.com/lolleancreations

4 comments:

Yelena's Nest said...

Amazing transformation!

Becky said...

That's so lovely! And a great idea for reusing a handbag. I kind of want one.

Jenni said...

I'm kind of appalled that you were able to cut up such a cool purse...but the result is SOOOO stunning and useful I want one too!
Jenni
eod
(eyeing the leather bag I bought that tore...)

fluffnnonsense said...

ooooh clever thing you!!!!