Thursday, July 07, 2011

Downcycle? Sidecycle?

So what do you do with a 100% gauzy silk overshirt with a dry-clean burn/stain right in the can't-miss-it-front?  With no way to cover the mark and save the shirt I decided to cut it up.  But why?  I decided to make yoyos out of it.  I had seen a girl with gauzy fabric yoyos on her cardigan with beads sewn in the center to approximate flowers.  Not necessarily my style, but yoyos would be more useful as an embellishment than a shirt I can't wear.  More details on my blog here.

(Mostly) before - just imagine the front isn't cut out.
Mark, you can see how the brown stands out so well against the light lavender.
Yoyos!  Lots of them.
What do you think?  Upcycle?  Downcycle?  Sidecycle maybe?

6 comments:

American Nanny said...

Yo-yo's aren't my style either, but these silk ones turned out gorgeous. What about using them in a home decor project such as stitching or gluing them to a lampshade, either edging the top and bottom or covering the entire shade?

Unknown said...

Haha, well I think maybe re-purposing might be the correct category to use perhaps? Anyway, I think they look great. We'd love to see what you do with your yoyos!

Erica, Editor on Duty

La La Lauren!!! said...

I have been making yo-yos too. They aren't exactly my style but recently i began to change my mind. I went to bed bath and beyond and I saw 6 different types of pillows with yo-yos on them. Most of them cost $50! Just for a pillow! I was in shock! I have also began to see shirts everywhere with them on and they can be done well. So try if you want some ideas for home decor try bed bath and beyond-they were everywhere!

Anonymous said...

I like the other ideas. My thoughts were leading to headbands..

ReFashionista said...

I've never done yoyos either. Maybe these silk ones would look cool on a shoulder of an otherwise blah tshirt?

-Jillian, EOD

Bat Ma'am said...

Pretty! I still say its an upcycle, they will embellish something and that will be an upcycle for sure!
But I do like the term 'sidecycle' just cuz its fun xD