Monday, September 19, 2011

Sometimes, it only takes a minute....

When it comes to refashioning, sometimes, simple is best. I picked up this smock style top for £1.75 from a charity shop in Chelmsford. There was alot I liked about it. The colour, the fabric, the picot lace details and the cute sailor collar. But the bottom tier, in my humble opinion, makes it look a little dated and gives it an unflattering, tent like shape, which just does not work on my figure....

So I just removed the bottom tier so there was a single picot detail along the hem to echo those on the sleeves and upper chest. It was so simple to do. Because of the way it had been applied, I could literally just trim away the second row of picot lace, and the resulting new hem is still perfectly finished. 5 minutes! I think it looks much more balanced as a garment now and most importantly, more flattering and wearable for me :)
All for a mere £1.75 and 5 minutes of my time. Happy days!

Miss Px

2 comments:

Minnado said...

I agree the top does look better now! And probably a more versatile shape when it comes to matching it with bottom halves. I like the picot detailing. Thank you for reminding us that not all refashions have to be timeconcuming - something that the non-refashioners out there maybe don't realise!

Debbie
EOD

PureMorning said...

Good idea :))