Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Hand Drawn Patches as Embellishment

My latest fun is hand drawn patches.
I used a fabric marker, the Tee Juice fine point marker in brown. You just draw and then iron to heat set.
I sewed rattie onto my purple tunic, and the bird onto a thrifted top I had dyed a while back.
I am not completely sure how I feel about them. Perhaps a bit 'stuck on' looking? I plan to do some embroidery stitching on them to create a kind of transition with the clothing. The good thing about the patch is I can always take it off and put it onto something else.

I have also been making some patches with screen printing. If you want to read about them, go to my blog here.

5 comments:

Charity Sims-Jenkins said...

Great drawings! Inspirational for me as I'm starting to think about what things I may be able to do with fabric markers/paints/pencils. I'm curious about the screen printing, too, so I'll check out your blog to see what you've been up to. Just an idea, would it be possible to draw on to a fabric that was not stark white in colour? I think that would help with the "stuck on" look you're concerned about.

Sigrid said...

These are pretty cool. As for the "patchy" look I think the above commenter has a good point, how about tinting the patch a bit?

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a really great idea! I may do a pocket of a blouse like that!


Aryn
Driftwood and Daydreams

Jenni said...

LOVE your rat! We have true pack rats here in Tucson. Annoying, but quite cute, even if you don't really like rats...
I think your drawings would also look really cool on print fabric. And if someone was not the fine artist you are, they could use bits and pieces of old tablecloths or something to make patches!
Jenni
EOD

Zom said...

I love the ideas everyone comes up with.