Sunday, December 25, 2011

a no-waste christmas gift!

This project was inspired by a bag full of scraps from past refashioning projects. It seemed like i'd collected SO MUCH...and I didn't want it to go to waste.

My sister is big into anything DIY/green/recycling, so I knew she would appreciate this gift.

From this bag of scraps:
I decided to make a VERY unique apron. We did a post about making aprons which you can read on our blog here.
I started by taking rectangular pieces of fabric and created pleated "stripes" on a base of leftovers from hemmed curtains:


I then used an old tank top to create the top portion, and used ties and satin ribbon to create the sash and ties around the neck.
Then for an extra special touch, I cut out letters from more of that scrap fabric and hand stitched them to the apron:


"Cocinar Todo Con Amor" means "Cook Everything With Love". My sister and I share a passion for food and cooking, and she is currently working for an organization called Manna Project International in Ecuador. She does community development outside of Quito, and is changing the lives of those around her everyday. I am so proud of her and am so happy to be able to make her such a special and meaningful present. You can see her blog here.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Ashley
To Catch A Thrift

3 comments:

willywagtail said...

That's a great idea. Love the gathering idea. Cherrie

Refashion said...

Great idea, and I love the saying you used for the top. :) I'm sure your sister will love it. -Seeks, EOD

notanymore said...

Merry Christmas, Co-Opers.