Sunday, February 12, 2012

More Gray Refashions

I have a lot of gray things I've refashioned. This skirt is something I've had for years but rarely wore anymore. I got the idea to put buttons down the side after watching the 1933 movie version of "42nd Street", where the chorus girls are dancing in black skirts with huge white buttons down the side. I also took 5 inches off the bottom. It already had the slit up the side; in the first picture it's on backwards since I had already put the buttons on. Simple, but I think it makes a difference.

This sweater is actually a very dark gray, and casual - with a hood and front pocket. I took off the pocket, trimmed off the hood, then cut it up the middle but slightly off center. I used a piece of the hood to add to one side of the sweater so that the new cardigan fronts would be able to overlap. Then I sewed a shiny-ish gray ribbon around the edge. It's actually not easy to find gray ribbon. This was a little too stiff and my original plan of ruffling the ribbon did not work at all. Then I added buttons (although it really closes with a snap) and the tie, which came from sewing together the two straps I had cut off a gray sweater jumper (American jumper) dress.



Note the cute doggie!



3 comments:

The Renegade Seamstress said...

Oh, I love this!!!!

Charity Sims-Jenkins said...

The buttons definitely do a lot to liven up the skirt! Great idea.

Refashion said...

I Love the gray. Great job on the skirt

Lalalauren
Eod