Thursday, April 05, 2012

"Femming" up a feminine top

Hi again fellow refashioners!

I found this top a little while back at my local thrift store. I thought it was pretty, maybe not very current, but pretty, and I loved the color.
Please excuse the terrible picture! Unfortunately the quality of the after pic is just as poor :(

It was a little big on top, and I greatly disliked the sleeves. I wanted to bring the same feeling of the crocheted lace up to the top of the blouse somehow, so I rummaged through my stash for some lace I knew I had from this week's Flannel to frills refash, and a scarf I'd made a while back as well(viewable if you follow the link below to my fb page...no pressure). So, I removed the sleeves by ripping them at the seams, folded the edge over only once and hemmed the openings. I then fashioned two sleeves by cutting half circles/ovals out of the lace(previously a lace tank), running a needle and thread through the curved part (top of sleeve) to create a gather and then sewed the new sleeves in place. I also took it in on top in the back along the existing seam there.

I know, I gotta start taking pics of the process for a tutorial, but for now, just before and after pics.
Here's how it came out...
Now, I feel this top is a bit more balanced with lace at top and bottom, and slightly more current. A little more feminine and a little extra lace never hurt anybody...I don't think ;) Hope you like this one! If not, please don't mention it :) Hehehe

Peace
Andrea
LittleDidYouKnow

5 comments:

Magda said...

loved how it turned out.

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

The lace sleeves now balance it. Great job.

Bat Ma'am said...

Stunning. As usual! Love the sleeves, it needed that balance! Amazing job!

learningnewtricks said...

You're right, it does look more balanced. Also, the top looks more light and quite fashionable. The belt is a good accessory.

Refashion said...

I love the effect of the new sleeves, and the belt and necklace really tie it all together. Thanks for a wonderful share! -Seeks, EOD