Saturday, April 07, 2012

Kid's messenger bag

Happy Saturday!

I made this bag a couple of months ago for my nephew who likes soccer and monster trucks using some old thrift store t-shirts of my son's and a cotton tote I got for free at my local thrift store. I salvaged a buckle from one of my husband's old bags that was beyond saving and here is what I came up with!
I created a rectangular bottom to the tote by sewing across the corners, then ripped down the side seams until I'd reached a point where one side could be used as a flap, and the other could simply be tucked in. I detached the 2 shorter straps and made them into one longer one by sewing them together and then reattached them to the bag. The t-shirts were duly deconstructed and I began creating the design for the bag by pinning together the pieces so that they would fit over the tote lining and strap. It took a bit of doing as I never use a pattern and therefore have to measure(eyeball) how all the pieces would fit. I created some pockets to stash small toys, crayons, etc. I hand stitched the t-shirt scraps over the entire tote so that I could be sure to get a good fit seeing as certain parts were a bit wonky ;) I like how it turned out and hope to make another for my son!

P.S.
Here's a scarf I made for my son with his old t-shirts...another great way to use your fav old tees. Found the idea online, but am not sure where. Just look up t-shirt scarf and it should come up under images :)

Peace
Andrea
LittleDidYouKnow

6 comments:

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Very cute, especially the little pockets for crayons and toy cars.

Bat Ma'am said...

I think I love you.. just sayin! My sons would LOVE this!! Excellent job, as always :)

Pam @Threading My Way said...

The little pockets are a great idea!!!

Refashion said...

Great use of t-shirts that have such prints, and the details look great! -Seeks, EOD

Andrea said...

Hahaha, Bat Ma'am, you're great :) That gave me a good laugh and made me smile throughout the day, so thanks!!! Thanks to all for your feedback! These types of things are great for old t-shirts that have holes/stains/etc that I'd prefer not to donate, but can't make myself throw away. I'm gonna add a photo of a scarf I made for my son with his old t-shirts to this post, too. Another good way to use up old shirts!

Bat Ma'am said...

CUTE scarf too!! I have SO. MANY. T SHIRTS. xD