Monday, May 14, 2012

Refashions for my daughter

For the past few springs and falls, I have participated in a week-long sew-along hosted by Meg at Elsie Marley called Kids Clothing Week Challenge. The goal is to spend one hour a day sewing for your kids, ending up with some snazzy new wardrobe additions by the end of the week. 

In past KCWCs, I'd mostly sewn from scratch. This time, however, I wanted to try refashioning some old things of mine for my 6-year-old.  

A scrap left over from a dress-turned-shirt refashion

I used this fabric to create a tank top for her, making straps out of the excess material. She wanted them to cross in the back, so they would look even cooler.

This girl is a born fashion model.

I also have a lot of maternity skirts left over from my 2 pregnancies. As we are not having any more kids, it was time to refashion some of those.

An XL Old Navy Maternity skirt

Back in the day, I was a lot heavier. To give you an idea of exactly how huge this skirt is, here is a picture of me "wearing" another one in the same size.

Wow, that IS XL!

I took the waist band off the skirt and re-sized it for the girl. Then I gathered all the material at the top and sewed it, and a narrow underskirt, to the new, smaller waistband. Finally, I gathered the hem and sewed it to the shorter underskirt, creating a bubble effect.

Bubble girl

It turned out a little less bubble-y than I wanted, but it is not bad for a first try. If I make her another one, I will make the top of the skirt more narrow by cutting out some fabric panels, rather than gathering it, so it is puffy only at the bottom.






2 comments:

Jenni said...

Pretty prints for a lovely girl!
Jenni
EOD

Cassandra Louise said...

Good work! I hope I can do something that clever one day. :-)