Saturday, June 23, 2012

Recycle Those Ugly Beaded Sweaters

If you have an ugly jewel covered, bead covered sweater that you wouldn't be caught dead wearing--tear it up! Salvage all the crystals, beads and sequins for use in other projects. Sometimes I will seek out an ugly sparkle sweater just for all the great swag I can tear off of it! Tearing all the sparkly stuff off a garment is easy. I use a seam ripper for most of the job and keep some small scissors around for tougher spots. I usually lay a towel across my lap while I work so that all beads and stuff I rip off, fall on to the towel for easier collection when I'm finished. It does take a little patience to clear a sweater but it is easy mindless work that can be done while you watch television. I mainly use to my recovered beads and such for making jewelry and applying them to random crafts. I've included a photo of a necklace made with recycled beads...just to give you an idea. *The necklace is for a friend of mine who wanted a The Cure band necklace. Other stuff on my blog, here

2 comments:

Bat Ma'am said...

THAT'S AWESOME! I love The Cure!!!

Refashion said...

A great use of some of those gaudy embellishments. :) -Seeks, EOD