Saturday, July 07, 2012

Peeptoe Oxford Refashion

This is my first shoe refashion!

In the last few years, I've seen a lot of variations on men's leather shoes for women:

At the $1.49 a pound I found these really soft leather men's shoes in exactly my size.  They were so long that they a) looked weird with everything, b) were hard to walk in. In a moment of sheer curiosity, I took a serrated paring knife to them. 

I ended up cutting the top in line with the toe cap stitching (just carving right through the nose and sole of the shoe...check out the cardboard layer under the leather!), and tucking the insole under and gluing it:
They wouldn't pass as commercial shoes, since my finishing was pretty improvised, but they are really comfortable and great with bright nail polish. I wore them for 4 straight days after making them. This was a really interesting project for me since I got to investigate the construction of the shoe a bit.

4 comments:

Mandy said...

Very cute! Thanks for sharing :)

Isis said...

couragous!

Refashion said...

How ambitious! I would never have thought to give that a try, but I love the results! -Seeks, EOD

Agy said...

Oh my goodness. Those are cute. I don't think I would have plucked up the courage to cut up the shoes! Well done.