Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cut first, ask questions latter.

I've had a few camisoles in my remake pile for a while and have experimented with ways to make them more wearable for me. Two issues: the lace in the front does not do a very good job covering my feminine qualities which is the reason I wear these under lower cut shirts in the first place. Also the thin spaghetti straps do not cover my bra straps if I choose to wear the shirt on its own, or if the shirt I'm wearing has any sheer quality (such as the acid burn shirts that have parts of the fabric thin and almost gauzy). Out came my scissors.

Before scissors (different shirt but you get the idea)


Basic pattern for replacement yoke. Just traced around what I cut off.
After the offending top of the shirt was removed I used it as a template for a new yoke for the top, accounting for thicker straps. I cut out two of the front and back pieces that I drafted, sewed them together at the sides and top, and flipped it inside out before reattaching the bottom of the shirt.

First attempt with a lobster print. The straps tie into bows at the shoulder. This fabric LOVES to stretch. Top-stitching helped to keep it under control a bit, but I'll need to do some tweaking to get the fit perfect.



Second attempt with a pretty floral. Not much stretch so I'll need to tweak the pattern to be a bit bigger for the next one if I use a similar fabric.


Overall I'm happy with the results. I have a few more in my pile waiting for their make over.

3 comments:

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Great idea! I use camisoles the same way. I never thought to replace the yoke.

I love the look of the floral and purple one.
regards,
Theresa

Unknown said...

I love the print of the fabric on the purple one!

Unknown said...

Nice! Love the purple top

Erica, EOD