Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Refashioning a boring knit dress


I got this comfy Lands End knit dress for a few bucks at a yard sale. It wasn’t too bad, but it wasn’t too great, either. The waist was not in a flattering place for my body, and it was just boring.


I have wanted to add zippers and/or keyhole details to something for a while now, and those seemed like the things I needed to add interest to this dress. Inspired by this refashion from Of Dreams and Seams, I added black zippers and used a sash to redefine the waist. 


Here is what the back looks like.


And here is a close-up of the zipper keyhole. I sewed the zipper down to the dress and edged the collar with black bias tape. Finally, I used my scissors to snip out the triangle of blue knit fabric from the back. I also trimmed the sleeve hems with black bias tape.



I will definitely be using zippers more in the future, especially since I got a bunch on clearance at Joann’s. I think they are a great, easy way to add something special to a boring garment.

-Amy





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an original idea! Looks great, well done.

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Great detail and good work with contrasting fabric. Loving the zip detail.

cookiecrumbs said...

Keyhole-zipper-neckline looks great!

Cucicucicoo said...

i love that zipper neckline! great idea! plus the added black around the sleeves and the waist pull it all together. great job! :) lisa

Huli said...

your refashioned dress looks so sooo much better! great job :)

Refashion said...

Your detailing is fabulous!!
Jenni
EOD