Friday, October 19, 2012

More fun with RIT dye

Here are a couple of items I thought needed some color. The dress was cute, but a bit dull. The pants were a lot like these – standard GAP khakis that I never wore because they were too boring.

 



The dress went into the Evening Blue dye bath with thisjacket. I tried dyeing the pants Scarlet, but they came out more of a dusty rose – not what I was going for. I wanted a bright color for fall. So I re-dyed them with Crimson. Here's how everything eventually turned out.

. 

I shortened the dress a little and wore it to a wedding. The pants now actually see the light of day as part of my work wardrobe. Dyeing is so easy and so much fun!

Amy

6 comments:

Fashionista said...

Amazing dye works!
Thanks for your kind words!

concretenprimroses said...

Really nice. I particularly love the pants.
Kathy

Zom said...

The dress is inspired. It looks amazing that colour. How did you shorten it with the lace hem?

amykalbster said...

I thought it would be hard to shorten the dress with the lace hem, so I took the dress apart at the seam between the bodice and the skirt. I cut a few inches off the top of the skirt, then had to slim it down on the sides to match the bodice width. Finally, I had to line up all the seams, which was a pain given the black detail at the waist. If I did something like this again, I would just take off the lace, shorten the skirt, then reattach the lace.

Jenni said...

Great color on the pants! I just picked up a pair of khakis and hope to get a similar result.

The Renegade Seamstress said...

I've got a bottle of dye just sitting on the shelf waiting for a chance to do something. You've inspired me to try dying something. Great job!
Beth