Wednesday, September 26, 2012

First try at dye-ing

 Once in a while, my lovely sister-in-law Mary will pass along some clothes to me that she no longer wants. She has great taste, so many things I can just wear as they are. However, occasionally, something will be a color that is not my favorite, as was the case with this cute little seersucker jacket. I am not a huge fan of light green, but loved the piece otherwise. 


I decided it was time to get over my fear of dyeing clothes, since a new color was the only thing the jacket needed. I decided to use RIT dye in Evening Blue, hoping for subtle blue and blue-green stripes. I used the washing machine method, since I didn't want to have to stir the dye bath constantly. The color came out great, but I needed to replace the white buttons. Fortunately, I found some that perfectly matched the blue-green color.



In the end, it came out great. Perfect for cool fall days!



I dyed a dress at the same time, which I will post next week. I can’t wait to do more experiments with dye!

-Amy


4 comments:

Unknown said...

A massive improvement, what a great shade of blue. Always enjoy seeing dye refashions

Erica EOD

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

This turned out so well!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

American Nanny said...

I love to dye clothes also. My problem is I don't know when to stop! I found that even though the package of dye says its for 3 pieces of clothing once I take those 3 pieces out of the dye bath that I just keep throwing more pieces in and more and more and more. If I'm not careful I end uo with a wardrobe that's all 1 color.

American Nanny said...

I love to dye clothes also. My problem is I don't know when to stop! I found that even though the package of dye says its for 3 pieces of clothing once I take those 3 pieces out of the dye bath that I just keep throwing more pieces in and more and more and more. If I'm not careful I end uo with a wardrobe that's all 1 color.