Friday, October 26, 2012

Skirt From a Sweater... Second Time's the Charm




This is my second attempt at a sweater skirt. My first one was a flop, but I did learn a couple of valuable lessons along the way. And knowing is half the battle, right?

Lesson number one: When sewing a sweater, it is MUCH easier to work with a fine gauge knit than a chunky sweater. The first sweater I tried to work with was made of a thick cotton yarn that easily fell apart when I cut it.

Lesson number two: Sweaters tend to stretch when you sew them. I was able to prevent the stretching by increasing my stitch length.  I also used a "straight stretch" stitch for this project, which is one of the stitch settings on my machine.






This is where it all began.  I found this large men's sweater and intercepted it just before it was sent to the goodwill. Score! I also used the sleeves of a stretchy knit shirt to make the waistband.

For more details on this transformation, hop on over to my blog. Thanks for reading :)





4 comments:

American Nanny said...

I've also found it if you use tissue paper. ehind your fabric it really helps keep it from stretching. When you're done stitching just rip it away you're good.

American Nanny said...

I've also found it if you use tissue paper. ehind your fabric it really helps keep it from stretching. When you're done stitching just rip it away you're good.

Mandy said...

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try :)

Anonymous said...

Love this! Very figure flattering!