Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Oxblood Fail

I wonder if it's okay to post up I-messed-up-but-I'll-make-a-post-of-it entries on this blog but there are so many more fails that success stories when it comes to refashioning for me. Often because you have a clear idea of what you want it to look like in your head and as you're working you begin to realize what a mess you have made.

I like to blame it on the fabric for the most part (I need a scapegoat) but here's one that did come out how I envisioned but did not look Haute-tastic on the model (i.e. me).

I got this top/dress thing for $1 and if you keep scrolling you will understand why...
 
 Seriously, this thing was hacked up! But I liked the color and wanted to make a sheer peplum from it but I failed... keep scrolling.


 I cut this thing in half and fixed the stitches. 
 Took the bottom half an folded together. I had the cool idea of making a bubble peplum, if that makes sense.






But I failed. I tried it on and it looks like I'm wearing a matching waist apron. So if I ever want to impress any guests when I'm hosting dinner, I will pull this baby out. But I won't further embarrass myself by posting a picture. 

  xo, Leslie of HauteThrift

3 comments:

marianne_bags said...

I like the colour too,
what about a nice top?
I dont think there was enough fabric to get a good ruffle at the bottom, and your probably right the fabric looks wrong.
well done for trying though.

Anonymous said...

We learn the most from our mistakes. I've certainly posted my projects that didn't turn out the way I wanted. I agree with you I love the color!! Holiday apron?? :)

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Love the concept and thank you for being brave enough to share your progress. I wouldn't call it a failure....it is a learning opportunity.
Anyway, have you thought of a rescue/rethink. Perhaps change the bubble by cutting along the bottom to create two equal flaps of fabric. Then cut the top flap to make it half the length of the bottom flap. This will give your new double peplum texture and depth. You can add further interest by edging the newly cut lengths with lace or retro bias binding. Looking forward to seeing where you go from here.