Thursday, November 15, 2012

Refashion: DIY Cotton Maxi Skirt

Hello Refashionistas! I am back with one of my very favorite, and probably one of the most worn refashions in my closet right now: a cotton maxi skirt that was made from a cotton jumper which was given to me by a friend!


This project was SUPER easy, and if you sew then you're in luck! I will admit that I don't see jumpers at the thrift stores I shop regularly, but perhaps you've seen them and passed over them because you didn't know they had such wonderful potential to become amazingly comfortable maxi skirts! Well, let me just tell you to skip over them no more!!!

What You Do
This really is an easy maxi skirt refashion, especially if you find a jumper without any buttons on the side, or any openings anywhere around the bottom or sides.


Step 1: Cut the top of the jumper off to create the maxi 'skirt'.


Step 2: Fold down the raw edge and tuck it under so none of it is exposed. Pin in place and sew around the base. If the waist area of the skirt is wider than your hips you may need to add some elastic and using this method here you have a perfect made casing so just leave enough space to slip the elastic in before sewing all of the raw edge down.

That's it! Told you it was easy! :) Of course this jumper had buttons down the side so I had to cut them out and sew the skirt back together so if you need direction or photos to help you through those steps you might want to check out the original tutorial. Otherwise you're good to go!!

Until next time,

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Also find me at Bloglovin, Facebook, Pinterest, and Tumblr!

4 comments:

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Cool. Nice look with vibrant colours.

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Thanks Mezzy!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Anonymous said...

I love this Helen!

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

Thank you!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog