Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Another dress to skirt refashion

At a yard sale this summer, I bought this sleeveless gray flannel dress for $1. It was from Eddie Bauer and was long and shapeless.


As it was about 90 degrees when I bought it, I had no immediate plans to use it, but I knew it had potential. This winter, I realized I could really use a heavy-weight gray skirt, so I grabbed this dress. I chopped the top off, leaving me with this. 



I cut off two strips to make a waistband, then I took it in at the sides to make it more a-line in shape. It took some wrangling to get the waistband on, since I didn’t use a pattern, but I figured it out. I used a couple of hooks to fasten it at the top. When I tried the skirt on, the fit was good, but the buttons were too far apart, leading to some wardrobe malfunctions.  I made a few extra button holes between the existing ones and took some buttons off the discarded part of the dress. Here how it turned out.



And here’s how it looks on me.



With tights and boots, it is warm enough for most winter days. I have some pretty casual styling here, but it also dresses up nicely for work.

Thanks for reading!
-Amy


2 comments:

Adele said...

That looks really good on you. Such a simple refashion but so effective.

Adele - EOD

Cucicucicoo said...

Cute! I like how you made the waistband open where the buttons open up. Very versatile piece! :) lisa