Monday, January 21, 2013

Hello

I've been following refashion co-op for some time, and now I get a chance to post as well!

I have been refashioning since I was about 13 years old, some 40 odd years now! I started by making my dresses into skirts, then when I was a young Mum and had no money, I bought clothes from Jumble Sales to reuse the fabric for myself, my children, or for patchwork. I also made a lot of my own clothes from scratch.

When I was older, I could afford to buy new clothes, but as I am not a standard size, they always needed altering anyway, and I object to paying a lot for things, then having to hem them up or whatever.
I always saved my clothes if I liked the fabric, so every now and then I have a root in the loft, and find
something to refashion into a more suitable style or size. Or I find something in a sale and alter it in some way.
This top is an easy refashion I did before Christmas. I bought the lacy knit shrug for an event the year before, but it is so loose knit that it becomes shapeless, and I spent the whole time fiddling with it.
The pink top underneath is a cotton camisole with cotton lace straps and front trim.
I turned the camisole back to front and removed the label. Then I put it on with the shrug on top and tied the tie. I pinned the straps to the shoulders, and the sides to the side seams. Took it off and hand stitched where I had pinned, plus the front where the knot is.
Now when I wear it, it stays put all the time.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Great way to make a loose knit work...I've had things like this that I wasn't quite sure how to fix or make work, so thanks for a good idea! And welcome to the "posting" side of the site :)

Adele said...

Very good tip. Thank you for sharing.

Adele - EOD

Unknown said...

Welcome! Always nice to have new refashioners!

American Nanny said...

Thank you so much for sharing your tip. Such a simple idea to make two garment wearable again and I never would have thought of it myself.

cookiecrumbs said...

welcome! Great idea for the lacy shrug.