Thursday, January 03, 2013

Ruffly conference bag

I made myself a new tote bag out of some stuff headed to the garbage:  An old conference bag from 5 years ago and a shirt that Brian discarded due to red ink stains and snags.
refashioned bag
This is a pretty decent bag, as far as conference bags go.   It’s sturdy canvas with a zipper.  It’s Just. So. Ugly.
2012-10-24 001 2012-10-23 010
I bought this golf shirt for Brian, possibly even at full price  (GASP!) because I loved the color.  I was trying to be supportive of his hobby, I guess.  It’s one of those breathable shirts that the golf people sell.  Unfortunately, it did not withstand the laundering conditions at my house and landed in the throw away pile.
2012-10-24 001 2012-10-22 007

I cut the shirt into one inch strips and then ruffled them until I had yards and yards of ruffles.  Those crazy conference people had printed stuff on the back AND the front of the bag, so I used every possible part of the shirt to get enough ruffles.
This is all that was left of the shirt! Wow, right?
2012-11-14 001 2012-11-14 006
I used my hot glue gun to attach the rows of ruffles on the bag.  And I glued on some rolled flowers made from some old lady scarves.   I love how it turned out, transforming two ugly things into something pretty and useful.
refashioned bag

Love,
Amy Jo at The Little Moments

8 comments:

Jana said...

Wow, very nice!

Notions from Nonny said...

Love it!!! So creative!!

Nonny
www.notionsfromnonny.blogspot.com

LOSTRETROMELBOURNE said...

Gorgeous result.

Ernie's Mum said...

Just gorgeous! Love the colour and totally love how you made something ugly look amazing.

Amy Jo said...

thank you!!!! :)

Cucicucicoo said...

what a great way to make use of the bag! i, too, have some pretty awful printed tote bags that i've been wanting to pretty-up, so i'll be keeping this in mind! :) lisa

La La Lauren!!! said...

OMG this idea is brillant! i have so many conference bags that are also ugly and I would love to cover them up. Nice idea!

Lauren EOD

Unknown said...

And now I'll actually be on the lookout for ugly bags! Because I need one more thing to start collecting. :P

Very cute. Love the idea! I've already earmarked this one for stuff I have to do.