Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Vampire Grandma to I Love Lucy

Hello fellow refashioners!  I've been following you all for quite a while and I'm excited to join you.  For my first contribution, I bring you a matronly number I recently reworked.  With a little TLC, I knew I could turn this Vampire Grandma dress into something nice.

The wide cuffed sleeves, the weird pointy neck, the unflattering hemline.

The overall shape of the dress was good, if a little dated.  The collar was wide, but didn't look too much like an airplane. The fabric was in good condition, without holes, rips, or stains.  All I had to do was alter the sleeves and neckline, and chop off some length.  I started by ripping the pointy panels in front out, then I cut off the cuffs and about six inches off the bottom.

Goodbye cuffs and width!

I took some of the bulk out of the sleeves and shortened them to about 3/4 length.  Next I used the extra length from the bottom to add a panel and ruffles to the new neckline. Then all I had to do was finish the hem.

From dated and matronly to retro and wonderful!

Once the sewing was complete, I had a new favorite dress reminiscent of something Lucille Ball might have worn.  I love Lucy, don't you?

 - Elizabeth
    aka The Hungry Octopus

2 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Oh wow... I love that you added ruffles. Great job!!!!!

Adele said...

Amazing!! What a difference!

Adele - EOD