Wednesday, March 27, 2013

blouses

I have been doing more sewing from scratch than refashioning lately. However, I was inspired by Little Blue Mouse's refashion the other day using pin tucks.

So, I thought perhaps this blouse might benefit from something similar. I made it January 2012 when I was trying to get a blouse pattern right. (Eventually I tossed that pattern and went for another one that worked better.) At any rate, I thought this blouse could still be worn, so I carried on to finish it.

However, it is so uncomfortable for many reasons...one of which is that the neckline area was far too big. You can even tell while it is on the hanger. The area that caves in at the front? well it flops out when I wear it.

So I thought I would try the pin tucks.
looks good!

and now the blouse is better!


Okay, lets be honest. It is still rather wrong - short arms, shoulder seams falling to the back and a lot of other things. BUT. the neckline is quite a bit better, though it could do with a bit more taking out horizontally.
It also fits better in the bodice front so the neckline will stay somewhere closer to where it is meant to. I think I can wear it with a cardigan which will keep all the sleeve stuff in place, and I think hope the neckline will be less uncomfortable.

I will give it another try at wearing it and if it is still too uncomfortable then maybe just toss it or something. Not sure I want to inflict it on someone searching the charity shops for something useful.

******
But not to end on a downer, here is something I did a while ago. I needed a white blouse and couldn't find any 'proper' blouses in the shops. Then I got a bright idea and bought some on sale white school blouses, thinking I could swap round. But 2 white blouses the same make you look like you are wearing the same blouse over and over.
Since I had several skirts with blue, I decided to use a pattern on my machine and stitch round the collar, cuffs and down the front.
No beginning photo, but imagine it plain.

It really changed the look. I wear it more than the plain one.

I think I have finally got a blouse pattern sorted that I do like, so I plan to do a white one in my style. Then I will probably take the plain white blouse and embroider another colour like red onto it...maybe variagated thread so I can wear it with other colours.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the idea of doing little refashions to items you have already sewn - so you know the item quite well. I hope it's a better fit now.
Eddie EOD

Rainy said...

I recently did some decorative stitching at the bottom of a tiered skirt. It took forever to do, since that bottom tier is just so long, but I love the skirt much more now for that small detail!

Susan @ Second Chances by Susan said...

Love the embroidery...smart idea! Have you thought about cutting off the sleeves of the blue floral blouse and making it a short-sleeved summer or spring blouse? I think the floral print would look great with shorter sleeves! Just a thought...

Sandy said...

Good idea Susan. I think you are right. The sleeves pull up my arms otherwise because they aren't long enough.
Sandy